One Month and Counting; #BringBackOurGirls !!!!

I have intentionally avoided putting up anything on this sordid, painful matter here. I fear that my thoughts may be too bitter to spew; I definitely do not want to look back at my thoughts and realize I was particularly vitriolic. However, it has gotten to the point where it can no longer be avoided. My conscience won't let me be; so here are my thoughts.

                  
Today makes it all of 39 days since parents were robbed of their children by terrorists in Chibok, Borno State. Today makes it more than a month since some inhuman elements called Boko Haram got the better of us as a nation; took away girls that could be my sister, niece, daughter even and threw their parents into unspeakable agony. Today, makes it more than one month to the day our country Nigeria became a laughing stock and our ineptitude left bare for the whole world to see.

            
It wasn't bad enough that our government made no official statement on the matter for about 3weeks; our first lady went on national TV and shed tears of ................ what will I call them? I lack the words. What I know for certain is that her publicity team and that of her husband has failed them severely and thoroughly. Anyway, we have now been forced by virtue of the twitter activists and hashtag #BringBackOurGirls to speak up. The activities of the international media particularly SkyNews, CNN, Aljazeera, etc to highlight the plight of these girls and everything surrounding the Chibok kidnapping of April 14th, 2014 can not go unnoticed.

 isha

I can not overlook the contents of an article I read about Isha Sesay's coverage of the #BringBackOurGirls fiasco by Uche Ezechukwu. I refuse to lend credence to such a piece of propagandist journalism some more credence by posting a link here; dear reader, search it out on Google. What I can say for sure about it is that, it was a very-well packaged piece of tripe; a beautiful attempt at sounding intelligent by stupidity. If we were capable of broadcasting the matter, why haven't our own journalists been sent to cover it like CNN is doing with Sesay? Or aren't the people of Nigeria entitled to hearing from our leaders, their perspective, insights and actions on the Chibok disaster? Why isn't Uche in our faces everyday telling us what the government, military and the requisite bodies are doing?




Before I get too bitter as it usually happens everytime I remember this issue, God bless Oby Ezekwesili and all the others who have been holding peaceful protests to ensure that the leadership is stirred to action. I join my voice with theirs to say;

I am Ekenedilichukwu Shirley Onwumeh, a sister, cousin, niece and even mother to the #ChibokGirls. All we want after 39 days is for the powers that be to #BringBackOurGirlsAlive........